1. Start by gluing two popsicle sticks together, end to end. Repeat this step with all eight popsicle sticks, resulting in four longer sticks. Make sure that all four sticks are the same length.
2. Next, create a square base by gluing the ends of your four long sticks together.
3. Cut a piece of yarn, about two yards long. Tie one end of the yarn to the square base at one of the corners.
4. Wrap the yarn around the square base creating a tight zig-zag pattern (see illustration). Once your yarn is wrapped all the way across the square, tie the end to the square base to secure it. After tying the knot, trim any excess yarn.
5. Cut another piece of yarn, about two yards long. Tie one end of the yarn onto the square base at one of the corners (any corner will do). Using tape, secure the other end of the yarn to a pen or pencil, as shown.
6. Using the pen or pencil, weave the yarn through the zig-zag pattern you created in step 4.
7. Continue weaving in the same zig-zag pattern until you have woven across the entire base. Remove the yarn from the pencil or pen that you taped it to and tie it to the square base to secure it. Trim any excess yarn.
8. Your landing net is almost complete! Next, create a welcome sign for your Scout Elf using the paper and marker. Cut a small rectangle out of the paper; on this rectangle, write “Welcome!” or any other message that you would like your Scout Elf to see.
9. Wrap the pipe cleaner around the square base to create a “signpost” for your welcome sign.
10. Glue your welcome sign onto the signpost.
11. Take the four cups and turn them upside down. Balance your Scout Elf Landing Net on top of the four cups and wait for your Scout Elf to make his or her first safe landing of the season!