Scout Elves love to read, and they can often be found leafing through their favorite page-turners, pop-up books, mysteries and other captivating tales! Now, use their tips to help your kids' fall in love with reading. Think outside the "book," and plan fun book-themed activities, to encourage your littlest readers!
- Spread the Word. Rummage through your family’s book collection and gather all the titles you’re ready to part with. Donate them to your local library, so others can enjoy reading, too!
- Author for a Day. Encourage your kids to write their own stories and read them to you. Don’t stop at the text—let your little ones feed their creativity with a proper book cover, illustrated pages and any other ideas they have.
- Hit the Books. Visit the local library and to help your kids pick out a book they'd love to read! Check the library’s website before visiting to learn about any activities going on in the kids’ section while you’re there.
- Creative Bookmarks. Recycle old books or comics and create your own bookmark by tearing out a page with a fun design or quote you like and cutting it out. Glue it on card stock and punch a hole on one end so you can thread a ribbon, a pipe cleaner or a tassel through.
- Playful Production. Gather costumes and props to help your child act out some of their favorite book scenes. Whether they choose to re-enact a tea party or trip to a chocolate factory, the production will be great fun for the whole family!
Find more fun crafts and activites to engage your little ones in Scout Elf Craft Corner.