The time has come to celebrate all the listeners, lovers, fixers and friends—the women that most people simply know as “mom”! To do that, the Scout Elves are sharing three great homemade gifts that they hope are just your cup of tea. The elves create these same crafts whenever they throw hot cocoa parties at the North Pole, and they knew they would be just right to set the stage for a fun-filled Mother’s Day tea party!
Dads and kids can get together to plan a special surprise for mom, or moms and little ones can take on this fun project to spend quality time together on this special day.
Everyone knows you can’t have a tea party or a cup of morning joe without a proper mug to sip out of! Moms will love this custom-made mug, courtesy of their favorite little artists.
- ★ White or light-colored mug
- ★ Oil-based permanent paint pens
- WASH and completely dry the mugs before beginning the creative process. (Helpful hint: you can find a variety of mugs at most dollar stores.)
- Let kids use the PAINT PENS to create a design of their choice, making sure the mug is their only canvas. A handprint or a personalized message on the mug will make an extra special memento for mom. (Helpful hint: If the paint gets smudged or kids make a mistake, just rub away the errant paint with rubbing alcohol and try again.)
- SET the completed mugs inside of the oven and turn it on to 350 degrees. Be sure not to preheat the oven; just set the mugs inside of the cold oven and let it heat up with them already inside.
- Once the oven reaches 350 degrees, BAKE the mugs for 30 minutes and then turn the oven off. Leave the mugs inside to cool for a couple of hours.
- Once the mugs have completely COOLED, remove them from the oven. This mug is one mom will treasure for years to come!
Moms will be thankful each time they reach for a towel to dry off the dishes!
- ★ Tea towel
- ★ Fabric pens or fabric paint
- LAY the tea towel on a flat, dry surface.
- Kids can DECORATE the tea towel however they please using fabric pens and a little imagination!
- LEAVE the towel on a flat surface to dry.
- PRESENT it to mom.
This special bouquet serves as a beautiful centerpiece and a sweet snack! Moms will love looking at this unique decoration as much as they’ll enjoy its delicious “flowers”!
- ★ 24 mini cupcakes (either store bought or homemade)
- ★ 24 toothpicks
- ★ 1 polystyrene foam ball
- ★ 1 flower pot (needs to have the same diameter as your foam ball)
- Carefully INSERT a toothpick into the bottom of each cupcake and remove it, creating a small hole. This will make it easier to attach the cupcakes to the foam ball later.
- NESTLE the polystyrene foam ball into the flower pot, making sure it is balanced securely. (Helpful hint: we used a foam ball and flower pot that were both 6” in diameter).
- Starting at the top, INSERT a toothpick into the polystyrene foam ball where you want to place your first cupcake; using the hole you created in the bottom of the cupcake earlier, place the cupcake on the toothpick, attaching it to the foam ball.
- REPEAT step three, carefully placing the rest of the cupcakes onto the foam ball. (Helpful hint: be careful not to disturb the icing on the cupcakes as you go!).
- ONCE the foam ball is covered in cupcakes, you have the perfect centerpiece!
To pull it all together, set the table and host a special tea party for mom. The cupcake bouquet makes a perfect centerpiece while your adorable new mugs and thoughtful tea towels make great gifts, as well as table décor.
Looking for more fun craft ideas? See what the Scout Elves are making in Scout Elf Craft Corner!
Please remember that when attempting the craft included in this post children should always be supervised by an adult. When using crafting supplies or products, always read manufacturer’s instructions and warnings.