The Scout Elves know that one great way to deck the halls is with a beautiful wreath—and not just the kind covered in holly berries and evergreen sprigs! As certified wreath experts, the Scout Elves have come up with a great way for you to proudly display your red, white and blue. This star-spangled DIY wreath is the perfect craft for letting your kids get creative while celebrating a patriotic holiday.
- Flat foam or wooden wreath frame (available at most craft stores)
- 30-50 wooden craft stars in varying sizes
- Red, white and blue paint
- Decorative ribbon or bow
- Hot glue gun or quick-drying fabric glue
- PAINT the wooden stars using red, white and blue paint. Make sure you have different sized stars in each of the paint colors. Helpful hint: The number of stars you’ll need depends on the diameter of your wreath and the look you’re going for—if you plan on overlapping the stars, you’ll need more of them. Fifty stars were used for this wreath with a 12-inch diameter. Let the stars dry.
- (This step requires adult supervision.) TURN ON your hot glue gun (skip this step if you’re not using hot glue). As it heats up, begin playing with the placement of the stars on the wreath frame.
- GLUE the stars in place. Vary the stars as you go, ensuring a good mixture of colors and sizes all the way around the wreath frame.
- ATTACH a bow or ribbon to your wreath. Helpful hint: Add additional pieces of flair like buttons or pom-poms to make your wreath 100 percent unique!
- Once dry, HANG your patriotic creation on your front door or around your home! It will be the perfect touch for this holiday!
Find more fun craft projects to try out this summer!
Please remember that when attempting the craft included in this post children should always be supervised by an adult. When using crafting supplies or products, always read manufacturer’s instructions and warnings.