← Back to Santa's Workshop
Make an Elf Clock
Do you know how to tell time? You can download this activity sheet, and make your own clock to practice telling time with your family or your elf. Just print out the activity sheet and follow the instructions. Be careful with the sharp tools and enjoy your new clock!
READ INSTRUCTIONS BELOW
- 1 Empty Cereal Box
- Markers or Crayons
- Glitter (Optional)
- Clear Tape
- Gift Wrapping Paper
- AA Battery (Refer to Quartz Package for details)
- Quartz Clock Movement Package (Available at most craft/hobby stores)
- Gather your materials
- Open the bottom portion of the cereal box and tape the top of the box shut.
- Use your scissors (ask an adult for help) and pierce the center of the front of the box with scissors. You will want to make a hole about the size of a pea.
- Wrap the cereal box in gift wrap paper leaving the bottom of the box open and unwrapped.
- Use your finger and feel for the hole in the cereal box underneath the wrapping paper.
- Place two pieces of clear tape on top of the hole. Then, pierce through the tape and wrapping paper once again.
- Use your markers/crayons and glitter (optional) and decorate your elf clock pattern. DOWNLOAD PATTERN
- Use your scissors and cut the elf clock pattern out.
- Place your decorated elf clock pattern on the front of the box, and match up the hole in your box with the circle noted on your elf pattern.
- Glue or tape the pattern onto the box.
- Pierce through the center hole once again using your scissors.
- Ask an adult to help you and follow the directions on your quartz clock movement package.
- First, insert the battery into the movement box.
- Insert the movement box in to the bottom of the cereal box and place the shaft/rod through the center hole you created.
- Follow the remaining directions on the quartz clock movement packaging to attach the hour, minute, and second hand to your clock.
- Reach inside the cereal box and set the time on the clock correctly. (Most will have a small dial on the back of the movement box.) See your individual package directions for further clarification.
- Tape the bottom of the box closed.
- If you have a slight overhang of wrapping paper on the bottom of the box, fold it under and tape it securely so you will have a flat surface on which the clock will sit.
- Enjoy telling time using your Elf on the Shelf clock!